Community and Human Services
In Community and Human Services you focus on the relationship of human needs and values to social conditions. You develop analysis and communication skills, as well as the knowledge and expertise to understand and contribute to the development and maintenance of healthy communities, groups and individuals.
Your exploration helps prepare you for a wide array of helping professions and community service roles such as:
- working with individuals and groups to solve problems
- helping communities in emergencies
- managing social service organizations in the delivery and management of social services
Popular Concentrations in Community and Human Services
- children and family services
- criminal justice
- disability studies
- emergency management
- health and human services administration
- substance abuse services
Why choose a degree in Community and Human Services?
Students pursuing a degree in this area are:
- preparing to enter into personal or community service professions
- further developing their current professional role
- laying the foundation for graduate level study in programs such as social work, psychology, management or school counseling
- combining their background in nursing or substance abuse counseling with further education to broaden their knowledge and abilities
- working with individuals, groups and communities in problem-solving situations
- preparing for graduate education or other forms of professional development
Sample Degree Programs
SUNY Empire State College students work closely with their mentors to design their own degree programs.
These sample degree program plans illustrate the degree program format and provide examples of some different types of individualized degree programs.
- Early Childhood Studies - B.S. in Community and Human Services
- Human Service - B.S. in Community and Human Services
- Marketing for Non-Profits - B.S. in Community and Human Services
- Social Issues - A.A. in Community and Human Services
- Social Services - A.S. in Community and Human Services
- Studies in Mental Health - B.S. in Community and Human Services